LinuxGames Interview mit Timothee Besset ( id Software )

Neuigkeiten zu Spiele

Moderator: Moderator

LinuxGames Interview mit Timothee Besset ( id Software )

Beitragvon Cheeky@Boinc » 08.08.2006, 09:57

Bild

LinuxGames führte ein Interview mit Timothee Besset von id Software auf der QuakeCon 2006.

Er ist verantwortlich für alle Linux Ports ab Quake III: Arena.

Auszug:

I had the opportunity to catch up with id Softwares resident Linux expert, Timothee "TTimo" Besset, who has been responsible for every id-produced Linux port since Quake III: Arena, at QuakeCon this past weekend. Since Quake 4 was recently released and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is on the horizon, I asked TTimo if he wouldnt mind answering a few of my inane questions:

Do you anticipate that the ET:QW client will ship at the same time as the Windows retail?

Hopefully. Were going to have a pretty extensive beta-testing period, so I hope that will be enough time for me to put together the full Linux client. I mean, in previous games when it turned out we couldnt release the full versions right on time, it was because we were still working on our other game clients. Since its not my project directly, its Splash Damages game, I should be able to maintain the Linux version. I think the Enemy Territory client was right on time with the Windows version; Im not sure. I think it did - the only one that was delayed was DOOM 3, by two months.

Do you still keep tabs on the GtkRadiant project?

Spog, William Joseph, has been mostly in charge of that. Since we actually went GPL on the licensing it seems that a number of people have actually picked it up, to much of my surprise because personally I always considered that it wouldnt really make such a difference between the GPL and our license, which was already pretty open in my opinion. It depends on what youre doing, if youre doing a game or end-user product, it really matters to have the GPL, but Radiant is a project with a very strong user-base, and most of the people want to produce maps and art for the games they dont care too much what kind of licensing it is. As long as they can install it on their computers and use it, theyre fine with it. Moving to GPL for all the Quake 3 technology tools was really good, Im kind of glad to have that out of the way. We have been saying for years that we were going to release it under the GPL and it finally happened so that was good.

It has been mentioned that Radiant has been updated to accomodate the new technologies in Quake Wars - does id plan on helping the GtkRadiant project in rolling these changes into the open source editor?

I really cant say what the plan is right now as far as releasing the source to those tools. It seemed that with the DOOM 3 technology, the company has kind of moved away from releasing tool source. Im not really in on those decisions, to totally know whats the balance between the pro and con of not doing that.

Das vollständige Interview indem noch, unteranderem, geklärt wird: Ati oder Nvidia?
<3 SuL <3
Cheeky@Boinc

Lizenz: GPL

RE: LinuxGames Interview mit Timothee Besset ( id Software )

Beitragvon theDeus » 08.08.2006, 12:38

Original von Cheeky@Boincindem noch, unteranderem, geklärt wird: Ati oder Nvidia?

Hab ich das falsch verstanden oder wird das nicht geklärt?
theDeus

Beitragvon Cheeky@Boinc » 08.08.2006, 13:01

Dann les doch mal im Interview die Antwort auf die Frage:

"Any comments on the state of NVIDIA and ATIs OpenGL drivers in Linux? Are there any missing features which would aid in development/porting?"
<3 SuL <3
Cheeky@Boinc

Zurück zu Spiele allgemein