Interview mit Linus Torvalds - Linux, Microsoft, und die Zuk

Alle News/Neuigkeiten wie neue Applikationen, neue Treiber,... kommen hier rein.

Moderator: Moderator

Interview mit Linus Torvalds - Linux, Microsoft, und die Zuk

Beitragvon Cheeky@Boinc » 10.08.2007, 21:04

Computerworld.com führte ein Interview mit Linus über Linux, Microsoft, und die Zukunft.
Linus spricht auch ein wenig über sich selbst :)

Vollständiges Interview

COMPUTERWORLD: What did you want from the public release of Linux? Was it money?

Torvalds: It certainly wasnt money, since the original copyright was very strict about that. It wasnt the GPLv2, it was my own "no money at all, and you have to give sources back" license.

COMPUTERWORLD: Didnt you fear you would lose intellectual property when you released Linux?

Torvalds: I didnt think in those terms (and still dont). It was never about intellectual property, it was about all the effort I had put in, and it was about the project being something personal. But yes, I was a bit worried that as a totally unknown developer in Finland, somebody would decide to just ignore my license, and just use my code and not give back his changes. So it worried me a bit. On the other hand, what did I really have to lose?

COMPUTERWORLD: The Free Software Foundation Inc. issued the second draft of the GNU general public license version 3 (GPLv3). Whats your impression of it? Is it good for the concept of Linux?

Torvalds: I personally think the GPLv2 is the superior license, and I dont see the kernel changing licenses (not that it would be very easy anyway, but even if it was, right now there just wouldnt be any advantage to it). But, hey, other people have their own opinions, and other projects will use the GPLv3. Again, its not that big of a deal -- we have something like 50 different open-source licenses, and in the end, the GPLv3 is just another one. I dont use the BSD license either, but tons of other projects do. Whatever suits you.
<3 SuL <3
Cheeky@Boinc

Lizenz: GPL

Zurück zu Neuigkeiten